Caterpillar Cut-Out Sentences
Students will be able to build sentences using capital letters and ending punctuation.
- Ask the class if they remember working with questions and statements.
- Tell them that they're going to add in one more kind of sentence today: exclamatory sentences.
- Explain that exclamatory sentences are said with excitement and end with an exclamation mark.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(15 minutes)
- Tell the class we are going to build our own sentences.
- Remind students each sentence begins with a Capital letterAnd ends with an ending punctuation mark, i.e. Period, Question mark, or Exclamation point.
- Ask them to come up with three sentences apiece: one question, one statement, and one exclamatory sentence.
- Allow volunteers to share their sentences.
Guided practise(5 minutes)
- Show the class the caterpillar worksheet.
- Call on a helper to assist you in showing the class how to complete the worksheet.
- Ask the helper what sentence he wants to hunt for first. Look through the newspapers and magazines together to find different words to form new sentences.
- Cut and place one word in each circle to form your sentences. Paste the words once your sentence is complete.
- Make sure to have capital letters to start each sentence and either a period, question mark, or exclamation point to end each sentence.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Ask students to write their names at the top of their paper and to use their scissors to get started right away.
- Remind them only to glue words after the whole sentence is placed on paper. It is easier to make changes that way.
- Enrichment:Ask advanced students to create complex sentences on the backs of their worksheets.
- Support:Struggling students can be allowed to write words into their caterpillars instead of searching for them.
- Collect students' worksheets once they're done. Review them later to assess their understanding of the lesson content.
Review and closing(10 minutes)
- Ask students to each share one sentence aloud with the class.