Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Can You Hear a Who?
Students will be able to identify different common sounds.
- Tell the students that they will be listening to a story.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(20 minutes)
- Read Horton Hears a WhoBy Dr. Seuss to the students.
- Ask them who makes a louder sound: Horton the Elephant or the little Whos?
- Explain to them that larger objects typically make louder noises.
Guided practise(20 minutes)
- Follow the activity instructions and have the students go on a Sound Scavenger Hunt.
Independent working time(25 minutes)
- Have the students draw a person, animal or object of choice on a piece of paper.
- Once the students are done with their drawings, have them place the paper facedown on their desks.
- Have them take turns making sounds to match the illustrations. The one who can correctly guess the most answers wins!
Enrichment:Allow above-level students to complete The Science of Sound as an extra activity.
- Support:For below-level students, continue drilling them on the different sounds using flashcards or drawings.
- Replay the different sounds on your tape recorder or cell phone.
- Have the students identify the object, person or animal.
Review and closing(10 minutes)
- Talk about the book you read at the beginning of class.
- Ask the class for their opinions on Horton Hears a Who. Ask, "What do you think the Whos sound like?"