Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Can Giraffes Dance?
Students will be able to describe a dance using adjectives and pictures.
- Ask, "Do you think giraffes can dance? Why or why not?"
- Call on a couple students to come to the front of the class to share what a giraffe's dance might look like.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Read aloud Giraffes Can't DanceBy Giles Andreae to the class.
- Have students turn and talk to a partner to tell what happened in the story.
- Call on students to retell what happened in the story.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Tell students that they will be working with a partner to create a dance for a giraffe.
- Explain that they will describe their dances using Adjectives, or describing words.
- Model how to create a short dance. Ask students to give a DescriptionOf what your dance looked like, using words like silly, fast, slow, etc. Write students' adjectives on the board.
- After performing your dance, draw a picture of your dance.
Independent working time(20 minutes)
- Have students work in pairs to create a dance for giraffes. As they work, prompt students to use adjectives to describe their dances.
- After creating a dance, have pairs perform their dance for you and share the describing words they used. Then hand out paper and have students draw a picture of their dances.
Support:Have students work on their drawings together.
Enrichment:Have students try to draw instructions for completing their dances.
- Assess how students are using adjectives.
- Pay attention to how students retell the story.
- Notice how students use pictures to represent their dances.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Call on pairs to share their giraffe dances with the class. Make sure to ask students to share the adjectives they used to describe their dances, as well.