Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Break It Down
Students will be able to subtract three-digit numbers using place value blocks.
- Show students the place value blocks.
- Say, “These blocks show 100, 10, and 1. We can use these blocks to represent how many hundreds, tens, and ones we have.”
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Write the number 394 on the board.
- Say, “If you want to use place value blocks to represent this number, you would use three hundreds, nine tens, and four ones.”
- Now write 394 – 293 = ____On the board. Say, “Let’s subtract 293 from 394. That means we have to take away one hundred, nine tens, and three ones.”
- Show how to subtract 293 from 394 using place value blocks.
- Now write 394 – 293 = 101On the board.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Hand out place value blocks to the students.
- Write the number 539 on the board. Have students work in pairs to represent 539 with place value blocks.
- Now tell students to subtract 323 from 539.
- Have students share their answers with the class.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Pass out the Place Value Blocks worksheet.
- Have students work independently to solve the problems.
Enrichment:Have students work with place value blocks to create and solve additional three-digit subtraction problems.
Support:Have students work with real place value blocks when solving the problems on the worksheet.
- Assess student understanding by observing how they solve the problems on the worksheet.
- Have students share their answers with the same partners they worked with during the guided practise section of the lesson and listen in to assess understanding.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Have students share their strategies for solving the problems on the worksheet.