Beginning Writing: All About Me
Students will be able to write a simple story about one topic with relevant details.
- Tell the students that today, they can draw and colour a picture about anything that makes them happy.
- Give them time to brainstorm some topics.
- Give them several ideas such as animals, toys, games, favorite food if they are stuck and can't think of anything.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Choose a topic of interest to you.
- Draw a picture to go with it. Show the students how the drawing does not have to be perfect.
- Demonstrate for the students how you will choose words that describe your picture.
- Make a list and write those words on the board.
- Use 2-3 of those words in a sentence.
- Show the students how the sentences relate to the picture.
Guided practise(15 minutes)
- Instruct the students to think of several words that tell about the picture they drew.
- Have them write the words on lined paper.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Tell the students to think of sentences that tell about their pictures before they start writing.
- Have students turn and talk to an elbow partner to describe the thing that is important to them orally using relevant details
- Have them write 1-2 sentences about the picture.
- Enrichment:Encourage advanced students to write a paragraph about their picture. They may want to add additional pictures and writing, encourage them to do so.
- Support:Struggling students may focus on correct spelling. Since this is beginning writing, encourage them to sound out words or write them phonetically. You can assist them.
- Collect the papers.
- Read the sentences. Check to make sure they match the picture and stayed on topic.
- If students stayed on topic, they can write more independently.
- Meet individually with students who may need extra help.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Allow students to share their writing with a partner before choosing a few volunteers to share their writing with the whole class.
- Point out how the sentences stay on topic and include relevant details.