Back to School Supply Shopping
Students will be able to apply their knowledge of multiplying whole numbers by decimals in real world situations.
- Tell students, "Today we are going to do some make-believe back to school shopping. But you won't just be buying for yourself. You will need a class set of each of the supplies on the supply list."
- Ask students to turn and talk about what steps they might take to accomplish this task. Some guiding questions you can ask are: What type of maths will you need to use? what numbers will you be working with?
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Use the problems from Buying in Bulk to model multiplying whole numbers by decimals in money form.
- Watch the Introduction to Multiplying DecimalsVideo.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Distribute the school supply lists (see Differentiation for details) and budget sheets.
- Model choosing an item from the supply list, locating in the store ad, writing its details on the worksheet, and calculating the cost.
- Invite students to assist with the multiplication.
- Repeat as necessary.
Independent working time(20 minutes)
- Students will use the store ads, school supply lists, and budget sheets to plan their shopping trip.
- Enrichment:Advanced students can be given supply list 3.
- Support:Struggling students can be given supply list 1.
- Use the budget sheets to evaluate students' understanding of multiplying whole numbers and decimals.
- Assess whether they stayed within their allotted budget.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Have students write responses to the following questions: What was the most challenging part of this assignment? What are the most important steps to remember when multiplying decimals and whole numbers?