Back in the Day
Students will be able to recognise and form past-tense verbs.
- Say, “Let’s write a story about something that has happened to our class in the past. What could we write about?”
- Take a few ideas from the class before deciding on a topic that you could write a short paragraph about.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Write a short paragraph about something that happened in the past on the board.
- After you write, call on students to circle all the verbs in your paragraph.
- Tell students that the verbs are written in the past tense because they describe actions that were done in the past.
- Explain that the past-tense of verbs is usually formed by adding -ed.
- Point out the regular past-tense verbs that you circled.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Tell students that some verbs have irregular past-tense forms. Explain that these verbs do not simply add an -ed to make a past-tense form.
- Pass out paper to each student. Have students work in partners to identify the remaining irregular past-tense verbs in your paragraph. Have them make a list of these verbs on their papers.
Independent working time(20 minutes)
- Now tell students that they will write their own stories about something that took place in the past.
- When they are done writing their stories, they should share them with the same partner they worked with during the guided practise part of the lesson.
- As the partners read each other’s work, they should use highlighters to highlight all the verbs.
- When they are done highlighting, students should put an “R” by the regular past-tense verbs and an “I” by the irregular past-tense verbs.
Enrichment:Have students make a list of all the regular and irregular verbs that they found. Students should look for patterns in the irregular verbs and categorize them accordingly.
- Support:Circle the verbs for the students and only ask them to determine if the verbs are regular or irregular.
- Assess students’ understanding by noticing how they are identifying and forming past-tense verbs in their writing.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Have students share their writing with the class, reading aloud a portion.
- After reading, call on other students to list the past-tense verbs that they heard in the story.