Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Apples and Bananas
Students will be able to identify and pronounce the sounds for long vowels.
- Project the "Apples and Bananas" song from the Learning Station.
- Tell the students that today you will be learning about the long sounds that each vowel makes.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Replay the song and pause during each of the vowels parts. Go over the long sound and explain how and why the words of the song change during each part.
- Write up each of the vowels on the board and tell students that an easy way to remember the long vowel sounds is to remember that long vowels say their name.
- Demonstrate this by going over each long vowel sound one more time.
Guided practise(5 minutes)
- Point to the letter a and ask students to think of words that have the the long a sound (prompt them with the word “ape” or “cake” if needed).
- Repeat this process with the other vowels.
- Remind students that all of the long vowel sounds are the same as the letter names.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Pass out the long vowel picture sort to the class and have them complete it independently.
- Circulate around the room and support students as needed.
Support: Say each of the picture names in the picture sort. Ask students to point to the vowel that they hear in the word.
- Enrichment: For advanced students, ask them to draw additional pictures to go with each of the long vowel sounds in the picture sort activity.
- Collect the picture sort worksheets and assess whether students were able to accurately sort the pictures by sound.
- Show students an additional picture or say a word aloud and ask them to identify which vowel sound they can hear.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Go over the picture sort and have class say the words aloud and identify the vowel sound that they hear in the word.
- Answer questions as needed.