Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Students will be able to use adjectives to describe a noun.
- Gather students together and show them a picture of an interesting object or scene.
- Encourage students to describe the picture with different words.
- Tell students that today they will learn about words we can use to describe things.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Tell students that when we describe nouns we use words called Adjectives.
- Hold another picture up. Model using your senses to describe the picture. List the senses on the board and the corresponding adjective.
- Tell students that good writers use a wide variety of adjectives.
- Give two more examples.
Guided practise(15 minutes)
- Have students work in pairs to brainstorm a list of adjectives.
- Have students list the adjectives on cards.
- Combine the cards with the cards you previously made.
- Have students pick up two or three adjective card and combine them with a noun.
- Have students work together to put the adjectives and nouns into a sentence with an illustration.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Have students select at least two adjectives and a noun to write a sentence about and illustrate.
- Have students complete the Write Your Own worksheet.
- Enrichment:Challenge students to write sentences using additional adjectives. Have students identify adjectives used in classroom texts or independent reading books.
- Support:Have students select one adjective and noun to work with at a time.
- Circulate as students work.
- Collect the students’ work to assess for mastery.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Draw students back together. Review the purpose of adjectives.
- Have students share some of the sentences and illustrations.