Adding with Dominoes and Playing Cards
Students will be able to write number sentences and add one digit numbers.
- Gather the students, and let them know that they will be adding, using different objects such as dominoes and playing cards.
- Pass around the dominoes and playing cards for the students to see and touch.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Draw a domino shape horizontally on the board, and choose a domino from the stack.
- Ask one student to come up and count the circles she sees on the first half.
- Draw that number of circles in that space on the board, and do the same with the other half.
- Have the students count the number on both sides, and write those numbers under the domino on the board.
- Ask the students what symbol goes between the two numbers to show addition.
- Write in the plus sign.
- Ask them what symbol comes after the second number.
- Write in the equal sign.
- Add the two numbers, and write the answer on the board.
- Select another domino and repeat these steps.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Place the students in groups of four to five depending on the number of students in your class.
- Give each student a domino and paper.
- Instruct your students to count the dots on their dominoes and write addition sentences with the sum.
- When addition sentences have been written for each group member's domino, have them bring their papers and dominoes back to the circle.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Ask a student to select two playing cards.
- Have the student read both numbers from the cards.
- Write an addition sentence to go with the numbers.
- Give each student 10 playing cards.
- Have your students write 5 number sentences and complete the Domino Addition assignment.
- Enrichment:Add in the Ace cards, which are worth 11 points in the game.
- Support:Give your students the dominoes to work with during the card activity. Have them add smaller numbers and identify the sum instead of writing the entire number sentence.
- Check the students' papers, and give them the Domino Fact Families worksheet for homework.
- If the students wrote complete and correct addition sentences, have them move on to adding two digit numbers.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Go back and review how to add, using the cards and dominoes.
- Have the students tell what they did to complete the assignment.