Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
- Students will be able to use given numbers to add up to 20, and then be able to subtract down to zero again.
- Divide the class into even teams in an outside area or gym.
- Give each team a die.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(5 minutes)
- Explain the rules of the game to your students: To practise adding up to 20, they will be rolling a die and the whole team will be performing a physical activity dependent on what number they roll. Direct their attention to the poster board. Go through the activities and the numbers they correspond to. Instruct students to record the numbers as they roll, and the running total, on their writing pad.
Guided practise(5 minutes)
- Instruct the students to take turns rolling the dice
- Remind groups to have one student keep a running total until they reach their goal of 20, then another student can keep track for the next round.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Once students reach their goal of 20, have them start to work backwards and roll their die to subtract down to zero.
Enrichment:Have students work towards a larger goal number using addition or subtraction.
Support:Have students start out with a smaller goal number or give them a number line to help them with counting.
- Look over writing pads and watch students as they do the activity to check that they are understanding how to add up the numbers.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- The teacher will observe and check in with each group to make sure students are grasping the concept of adding with the die and working together as a team.