Action Words are Amazing
Students will be able to recognise verbs and use them in sentences.
- Begin the lesson by discussing actions. Potential discussion questions include: What is a physical movement of the body called? What do you do to clean your teeth? What do you do to dry your hair?
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(5 minutes)
- Have your students play charades and act out the action to other members of the class.
- Invite the other students to guess the action.
- Ask the students to make a sentence with that action word. For example: Raj is eating. Rahul is hopping like a frog.
- Explain that the action words are Verbs.
Guided practise(5 minutes)
- Separate your students into groups of 4-5.
- Instruct them to play this game of action charades, and make sure each person acts at least once.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Have your students draw actions or write verbs onto index cards.
- Instruct your students to exchange them with another group to act out.
- Enrichment:Encourage your students to find different types of verbs and use several in a sentence.
- Support:Help your students act out actions before using them in a sentence. Model the verb by completing actions with props.
- Ask your students to make sentences about the index card actions or verbs.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Ask your students to list the verbs they learned during the lesson.
- Have each student act out one verb he learned.