Action Words are Amazing
3.1Based on 19 ratings
August 30, 2015
Download lesson plan
August 30, 2015
Students will be able to recognise verbs and use them in sentences.
Introduction (10 minutes)
- Begin the lesson by discussing actions. Potential discussion questions include: What is a physical movement of the body called? What do you do to clean your teeth? What do you do to dry your hair?
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (5 minutes)
- Have your students play charades and act out the action to other members of the class.
- Invite the other students to guess the action.
- Ask the students to make a sentence with that action word. For example: Raj is eating. Rahul is hopping like a frog.
- Explain that the action words are Verbs.
Guided practise/Interactive Modeling (5 minutes)
- Separate your students into groups of 4-5.
- Instruct them to play this game of action charades, and make sure each person acts at least once.
Independent Working Time (10 minutes)
- Have your students draw actions or write verbs onto index cards.
- Instruct your students to exchange them with another group to act out.
- Enrichment:Encourage your students to find different types of verbs and use several in a sentence.
- Support:Help your students act out actions before using them in a sentence. Model the verb by completing actions with props.
Assessment (5 minutes)
- Ask your students to make sentences about the index card actions or verbs.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Ask your students to list the verbs they learned during the lesson.
- Have each student act out one verb he learned.
Related Learning Resources